Sunday, April 8, 2012

Spring-Time Work on the farm!

Every year about this time I get all freaked out that I am behind schedule. Have to stop looking at the calendar because I know I cant move any faster if I tried. Even start my annual chant - "Plants in the Ground, Plants in the Ground, Looking like a fool without your plants in the ground!"
Feels like every waking moment on the weekends is churning out little soil blocks for zinnias, sunflowers, cosmos, and other colorful petals.
As the strawberry fields pop open up one-by-one can feel the push to get more seedlings rolling to make sure there will be an abundant summer. One of the most crucial parts of the Spring tasks is making sure the plastic rows are in. Thanks to my neighboing farmer friend that is now crossed off my to-do list.



I feel lucky to have the friends, neighbors, and family to pitch in for times like these! (Thank goodness for badass tractors!) This year the rows are alittle longer but spaced wider apart. This has me thinking about some creative plans for when the flowers are in bloom...humm... Can we fit tables between the rows for a fun farm dinner parties? Never know! Could be a fun birthday bash for someone among the butterflies. :)
I forget what a stress the spring is. It takes a great deal of faith during 2 short months to trasform these plastic rows into colorful fields like these! (here's mom picking petals in last years zinnia field!)
These raised rows are a lifesaver though. It means a practically carefree summer.
No weeding, no watering, just flip the switch on the water pump and cut the flowers.
The space allows the riding mower to fly down the isles for easy maintenance too.

Have been noticing the extra traffic from the neighboring Restaurant that just re-opened down the street - Blue Pete's.
The new owners are local 25 year old twin brothers, super hip guys, using local farm produce and hosting live music. They have fixed the place up quite a bit and have been utilizing lots of social media outlets so I think they have brought many more honks and waves driving past my little farm.

I am sure my lush fields overflowing with flowers will inspire patrons to stop in and soak up the country experience on their way to a great local meal -

Well back to starting seeds so I can have some flowers to go in these rows :)

5 comments:

  1. I can't figure out how you do it all, I am so behind on stuff! I have my seedlings ready to go in but the nights have been so cold, and then they boys have got so much going on I'm pulling my hair out LOL! It's good to know Blue Pete's is open again, I hadn't heard, we love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its still too cold for seedlings or tender chicks at night :> Blue Pete's is going to be a great hangout spot. Lots of new energy. I worked there for my first job, I would ride my bike there to go to work back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is from my (and your mom's) generation but it is STILL my favorite gardening song of all time. Terrible video, but you will love the words - it sticks in your head.... I still sing it in the garden! Love Arlo! This clip includes his hilarious "pep talk" to the audience. Here's the link: Enjoy!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QTj45cTB4U

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better! Done by Pete Seeger - you WILL become addicted to the song!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u90qRE2F7CM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I googled it and got the one with Jonh denver and the muppets. The plants start singing. I dont know what kind of seeds they were planting :) hahaha. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete