Thursday, August 25, 2011

Shut the Barn Door!

My new motto...When 1 door shuts...hire a kick butt carpenter to make you a few more to open!

To think last week I was blogging how I needed to find someone to make some barn doors for the farm stand. If you would have told me that in 3 days I would have 5 custom built doors completed and installed I would NOT have believed you!
But indeed it is true and here is just the preview...thanks to the handy work of:
Joe Rivera @ Right Angle Works!
My vision for the stand was to give it a barn look with big "X"'s in dutch style doors. Partly for style but also for the functionality...so I can swing upper half open on hot days, leave the bottom closed to help direct foot traffic through the main doors, or have all the doors open for a cross breeze in the summer. Really I just wanted style and options and that is exactly what was delivered. Here is a side single door installed :
The door below is the one directly facing the road and I am thinking of using the top swinger for some creative signage. May continue with the chalkboard paint idea. Think it would be fun way to have an price menu when I have seedlings or bouquets on the porch for sale...or maybe a great place to hang a big OPEN sign since you can see it from the street.
Back Door was set on sliding tracks from Southern States. Thank goodness they carry barn door hardware already in stock, so we didn't have to wait around for days on a special order.

The Front doors are my favorite.
You can imagine my face when I drove up to this for the first time!

Gasp! so pretty :) team of carpenters were on a roll, custom made windows and all. So used to looking at unfinished holes in the wall, it was a complete shock. The doors gave the stand instant charm and personality!
The "x"pattern was continued on the inside so when you swing open up the doubles they still rock the barn look.

After I finished dancing around, (was doing sun-drop girl dance in front field for a few minutes) I drove to the back pasture and spotted this gem.
The guys were really trying to butter me up with constructing one of these babies:

eat your heart out Joel Salatin :0 Heehee...another floorless chicken pen on the way, but bigger, better, and way lighter. The way I would want to do it, if i had any gift or talent to swing a hammer that is.

Roofing panels that match the stand roof are going on tomorrow.

Well as I finish this post, I can hear thunder rolling in from a small storm, a preview of the hurricane currently churning its way to Virginia Beach.
Just glad the stand doors are done locked down and secured before Hurricane Irene hits.
Thinking the stand is ready to battle the weather, but with 80 mph winds...just follow the trail of chicken feathers and Zinnia Petals to find me and the girls!

Friday and Sat will be spent preparing and tying everything down and moving the Eggmobile to higher ground! :)

2 comments:

  1. Those doors look amazing, and just in time to slam them shut against Irene! Ooooh, you have to turn your flag around, though! I hope you don't end up with chickens in the living room during the storm LOL, you give them a minute and next thing you know they have the remote and can open the fridge door.... haha stay safe and batten down the hatches! Does that canal flood bad on your property?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the canal floods! 4 lb chicken in 80 mph wind probably dont mix. Eggmobile will be locked down! Yes flag needs to come down asap!! \ Hope we make it out ok!!

    ReplyDelete