Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Zinnias are in Bloom!

Note to self - June 16th - First Real Zinnia Bouquet Picked for the season. As you can tell, this blog is making for a great gardening journal! We have grown every zinnia and sunflower from seed, so its an overwhelming feeling - finally getting to see our harvest for the first time. It is a relief too - After thumbing through the wedding magazines, and not seeing much attention given to the field grown flowers - I was almost afraid that our farm grown flowers wouldn't look as exciting as those imported roses or lilly's. Boy was I wrong!

Just love the color and texture. Glad Judi thought of the mason jar idea with some raffia bow. It is just a perfect theme for the -Oct. farm wedding we are planning!

I am amazed at how textbook the sunflowers are. Definetly not the tall gangly ones I grew as a kid.

Was harvesting a bundle of the happy blossoms and told dumplin' "Hey these sunflowers look like the ones at the store!" he quickly replied with- "well where do you think the ones at the store come from?!"

I think I can actually believe now that oneday soon they will be coming - from our farm...
Needless to say, I am impressed with our first efforts -

The excitement has been a good motivator to keep at it. Last weekend was spent starting a whole new batch (couple hundred!)- so we can keep fresh plants in succession.
I am growing more varieties and most are solid colors now, instead of the mix.





































Kitty on the job
:P

2 comments:

  1. I love that comment about where the flowers at the store come from! And now it's YOU! The blooms look amazing! Will be emailing you soon to set up an egg rendezvous!

    ReplyDelete