Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hummingbirds are out

A Male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird looking straight at me!
First time ever, I witnessed a female hummer sipping quietly at the feeder and a male hummer came diving towards her in a pendulum style "U" shape - back and forth above her, maybe 5 or 6 times, almost hitting her while she was feeding and making a very strange chirping sound. Guess he was doing a mating dance of sorts, she didn't seem to impresses as she flew off in the other direction! lol
We have 4 feeders around the property. This one is at the back kitchen window and it motivates me to scrub some dishes as I have some entertainment in the process.


3 comments:

  1. We saw our first too over the past week. It is said that the same hummingbirds return to the same place every year, so when I see them I always feel so lucky and want to say "Welcome back"! Isn't it nice that we had so much natural rain this week? I am sure we will be rewarded with lots of growth when the sun comes out today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't hummers the best? I think you are correct, he must have been trying to woo her, in fact I believe I saw on TV that the noise is a result of the fast diving, silly birds!!

    Mine have not come around yet here in MA as far as I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say "great shot", I love how the ruby throat just pops out in that first photograph.

    ReplyDelete